** Comments on Menlo Swim and Sport

From: Manuel Nathenson <mnathnsn_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 12:44:58 -0700

I have swum at Burgess pool for more than 10 years and am a Menlo Park resident. The management of the new pool under Tim Sheeper has been tremendously successful. The City managed pool had very limited hours and a small smattering of programs. The facility was really very little used and was just closed for many hours of the day. Menlo Swim and Sport greatly expanded the hours and the breadth of programs. I and my wife are lap swimmers, and I greatly appreciate the flexible hours for me being able to swim. At whatever time I come, there is also some program or other that is happening. The programs attract a broad range of Menlo Park residents, and the facility is well used.

My understanding is that Menlo Sport pays no rent but covers all other expenses. Menlo Park residents are paying off a large bond that was passed to pay for the new pool. I don't think it is economically feasible for the swim programs to pay any money on those bonds. But Menlo Sport's aggressive marketing of programs and services to full utilize the facility makes it much easier to justify the large cost of the bond. The City run programs were small and unimaginative, and Menlo Sport developed a broad range of programs to fully use the facility. For their hard work and innovative programming, they really deserve to have the contract with the City of Menlo Park renewed.

Manuel Nathenson
239 Elliott Drive
Menlo Park, CA 94025
650-328-4173 Received on Sun Oct 17 2010 - 12:44:59 PDT