I oppose the BevMo application to do business at 700 El Camino Real in Menlo Park

From: Phil Abrahamson <phil.abrahamson_at_(domain_name_was_removed)>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 14:45:09 -0700

Dear Menlo Park City Council,

I oppose the Beverages & More (BevMo) application to do business at 700 El Camino Real in Menlo Park.

There are excellent existing options in Menlo Park for purchasing wine, beer, and spirits (most notably Draeger's and Beltramo's). Those who prefer BevMo need only travel 2.5 miles to the BevMo store in Redwood City. Hence I believe that (1) the proposed BevMo store is neither a convenience nor a necessity.

Moreover, locally-owned merchants such as Draeger's and Beltramo's have a long and significant history of actively supporting local schools and public service organizations. To my knowledge, BevMo has no such history in communities where it operates. The introduction of a BevMo store in Menlo Park would inevitably decrease the revenues of locally-owned merchants, and hence their ability to provide charitable support to local schools and service organizations. Hence I believe that (2) the introduction of the proposed BevMo store would be a detriment to the welfare of the city of Menlo Park.

In light of (1) and (2) above, I hope that the Menlo Park City Council will deny the BevMo application to do business at 700 El Camino Real in Menlo Park

I live in Atherton just a few hundred yards from downtown Menlo Park. I do most of my shopping and dining in Menlo Park (Safeway, Trader Joe's, Draeger's, Peet's, Beltramo's, Village Stationers, Golden Shears, Cafe Del Sol, Naomi Sushi, Su Hong, Vida, Gambardella's, Cafe Baronne, etc.).

Thank you for your consideration.

Philip G. Abrahamson
46 Douglass Way
Atherton, CA 94025